Total Pageviews

Friday, November 5, 2010

Dept. of Agriculture 2010 Guidelines for Salt

New guideline lowers the recommended daily salt intake:

2005 guidelines:  2,300 mg of sodium is equivalent to 100 mmol of sodium and is the amount of sodium in 5.84 gm of salt (sodium chloride), about 1 teaspoon of table salt; and,
2010 guidelines:  1,500 mg of sodium is equivalent to 65 mmol of sodium and is the amount of sodium in 3.8 gm of salt (sodium chloride), about 2/3 teaspoon of table salt.

I skimmed the report for carbohydrates in the new guidelines, really confusing.   I had the feeling that they were "protecting the use" of sugar.   When I have no control over candy and it controls me, I have to believe that sugar is a drug and for reasons I don't understand, the government is protecting it.

These guidelines are not published yet but you can access the report:  http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-DGACReport.htm

My gosh, even a tablespoon of ketchup has 1 teaspoon of sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment