Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day 26, 17 to go.........

Weight went back up to 132 today.  I'm really not sure what that is about but it is what it is. 

The sugar demons were attacking me yesterday in full force.  Yes, it definitely was my fault.  I went grocery shopping after running errands all day which included Black Friday shopping and having the MRI done on my knee.  The only thing I ate all day prior to walking into the grocery store at 5:30 was a Carb Check Bagel (140 calories) and coffee.  The baking aisle got me!!!!!!   As I walked down the baking aisle the cake mixes, brownie mixes, cookie mixes, sweet bread mixes........they all were jumping off the shelve at me.  I walked faster.....they walked faster.  It was hard, very hard.  I started to doubt myself.  Ask questions why?  Negative thoughts, such as:  You can't give up sugar forever!  What would it matter if you just ate one?  Everyone else gets to buy and eat that stuff!  It went on for what seems like minutes but actually it was probably only a few seconds.  I went down that aisle to buy pancake mix but the journey through the aisle was very eye opening to  me.  I have a long way to go.  My thinking has to change........I am not depriving myself of anything, these foods that were "talking" to me have NO nutritional value.  Why do I think that I'm withholding something good from myself?  Will I ever get over this?

Now that I write this, I remembered that these thoughts and feelings also entered my head on Wednesday night at Wal-mart.  Walking through to the dairy aisle I  passed through the end aisle of the store..........the whole aisle was Christmas Candy!!  Do we have to wonder why we have a world of overweight people when the stores are working against us.  How cheap is it to buy a bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and bring them home to put a smile on your kids face?  Or to stop a screaming kid in the grocery store and give into his demands.  Why are we teaching our kids that sugar is good?  How much effort would it take to retrain them and to have to ask for apples or bananas?  Yes, it costs more to eat healthy but it also takes a lot of effort and from what I see in Wal-mart...parents do not want to expend that effort.  Could it be they need education on how to shop or how to cook?  Our society has really done a disservice to our poor.  It goes back the ancient proverb: "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish ; and you have fed him for a lifetime".  We are giving way to much and not teaching how to provide for themselves.  Off soapbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment