Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 22, 21 to go...........

Day 22, over three weeks of not having a single bite of sugar laden food.  I've had honey in my oatmeal, 1tsp., every other day at the most.  White flour in the form of bread has been almost non-existent (except for last night)  I've had pasta but kept the serving size to a minimum.  I'd say all in all, I've been very good.  My weight this morning was 129.2.   Here's the exception:

Last night I went out to dinner at my favorite pasta restaurant.  Normally (and my mouth waters even when I think about it - talk about conditioned responses) I order broccoli and cream.  That's broccoli mixed in with a very rich Alfredo sauce  poured over linguine and covered with mozzarella cheese and slightly browned in the oven.  But last night I ordered the sauce with all sorts of veggies in it besides broccoli there was asparagus, peas, carrots, and fresh mushrooms (sauce was still Alfredo sauce.)  This restaurant is exactly what the book, "The End of Overeating" described.  My plate had enough food on it for 4 servings, honestly.  Before you even order than place toasted garlic bread and crispy hard rolls on the table served with Wisconsin butter.  I did have one piece of garlic bread but that piece would normally be two pieces and I also had one half of a hard roll.  The salad was also served which I ordered french dressing on the side.  I ended up taking two-thirds of the pasta home and tonight I went to reheat it.  I actually heated half of it up in the microwave and ate a couple pieces of broccoli and tossed it all into the garbage.  OMG, the plate of pasta had an inch of melted butter around the edges of it.  I am not kidding, I should have taken a picture and posted it here. 

Now that meal is certainly an exception and I do not go there on a regular basis but why don't they  cut the price and serve a healthy size portion instead of putting so much on the plate.   My husband I have went there in the past and split an entree which works out nicely except my favorite and his favorite are not the same.  He likes seafood in his Alfredo sauce. 

So just in case I overate yesterday I cut back today.  I had my steel cut oatmeal this morning, I love that stuff.  This time I made four servings and divided the servings into separate bowls and put them in the fridge.  I hope this will work, just pop it in the microwave for a minute instead of cooking and stirring every day for 20 minutes.  Last time I went grocery shopping I found Sweet and Low brown sugar.  I know that I shouldn't use that stuff but a little bit, ummmmmmm, I actually felt guilty.  Anyway, I added cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon of the Sweet and Low, and a bit of milk and it was delicious.
Lunch was 1/2 whole wheat bagel with fresh peanut butter and supper ended up to be a Smart one plus 1/2 can of Progresso lentil soup.  In just those two items, the soup and the Smart One, I had my daily allotment of sodium - 1450 mg and 9 grams of sugar.

Finished the book last night and wanted to blog some insight that I want to remember:
*We have to seek out alternative rewards that satisfy us.
*We need to keep in mind how the brain processes stimuli and how that drives your behavior in the      presence of food and food cues.
*We need to pay attention to everything we eat.

Thanksgiving Day brings the 5 mile Turkey Trot.  Yesterday was a three mile run that took everything I had in me just to continue my interval running as I planned to do.  I can only believe that my body is not recovered from giving blood last Friday.  Hopefully, after another two day rest and I will be able to complete the run on Thursday with a little energy left for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment