Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 5, 38 to go...........

4.2 grams of sugar = 1 teaspoon of table sugar

Even tomato soup has sugar and not a little either.  I've been looking at everything in terms of teaspoons of sugar now.  A can of Campbell's Tomato Soup has 30 grams of sugar or 7.5 teaspoons of sugar.  I just can't imagine taking 7.5 teaspoons of sugar and adding them to anything but less tomato soup.  The other food I checked today (that was taken out of my pantry) Honey-Nut Cheerios.
Nine grams of sugar in 3/4 of a cup and I thought they were good for you.

I saw an ad on TV for Pediasure for kids (picky eaters).  My curiosity was piqued so I started checking to see if I could find sugar content.  I went to the manufacturer's website but I couldn't find the data there, either they make it hard to find or it's not there.   Found it.......Pediasure has 18 grams of sugar, 4.2 teaspoons of sugar in 8oz.  According to their website sugar is added because after testing the product they found out that kids like a sweeter tasth, duh!!!!!!!!  Who doesn't?
It's no wonder our kids are getting fatter and are addicted to that sweet taste.  I'm reading a book called, The End of Overeating by David A. Kessler, MD, it's hitting on the food industry's to make food so it is irresistible to us by adding sugar, fat, and salt.  Those three ingredients have caused the obesity we face today and the health problems related to it.

My weight was down to 131.8 this morning that's 3 #'s gone in 5 days.  I'm NOT dieting, I am NOT restricting calories, what I am doing is controlling my sugar and white flour consumption.  I'm feeling good, real good compared to the night I ate all those candy bars and the day after that.   I'm not bloated and my intestinal gas has certainly diminished.   I don't think my energy level has made any significant change, although my run went good today.   Also the cravings are gone.  Would I trust myself with a bowl of candy bars?  Yes, and at this point in my experiment, I would not eat any of them. :)

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Barb! I've been doing the "cut-down-on-white-stuff" thing, and it's amazing how bloated I get from even a small amount of sugar. And white bread and pasta turn into sugar in your system, so it's EVERYWHERE! I'm also starting to run. Or should I say, run/walk. I have walked several half marathons with Team Prevention - unfortunately, Prevention doesn't sponsor teams anymore, but we sometimes get a bunch of the alumni together and do a walking race. Last one was September 12th and I haven't done squat outdoors,since. New England get miserable in the winter, so most of my workouts will be in the gym. I'll be watching your blog from now on, Barbb - thanks for doing such a good job!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete