Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 9, 34 to go..............

Yesterday had some difficult moments.....like the one when DH bought a candy bar at Fleet Farm and proceeded to eat it in front of me, Salted Nut Roll.  He asked if I wanted a bite and thank goodness, I had enough will power to say no.  We were shopping for garage furnace supplies so at the next store I stayed in the van, bad idea.  Do you remember where all the Halloween Candy is? Yep, they are in the van!  I obsessed over the thought of Butterfingers, Babe Ruths, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups......come on, it was 3:00 in the afternoon, what a great time for a snack.  One can't hurt, or can it???  Get a grip!  I was talking to myself, actually fighting with myself, those darn little voices anyway!  I am happy to be sitting here typing this with a smile on my face because I was victorious over all those empty calorie little candy bars.  I was alone in that van for 30 minutes with all those little candy bars screaming my name and I did not even look for the bag! 

We also went out to eat.  Since reading "The End of Overeating" and understanding how the food industry uses fat, salt, and sugar to overeat I am vigilant about how much I eat and why.  I want to know when I am satisfied and not continue eating because the food tastes good.  As we ate yesterday I pushed the plate away from me two times because I was not hungry anymore but kept reaching out to the plate to take another bite, ummmm, just one more bite.  Was I hungry?  No.  Was the Philly Steak Wrap good, YES!  After two extra bites, I finally was able to leave the darn plate alone.

Weight this morning 131, I slept good last night, and amazingly, I feel totally calm and peaceful.  Is this a benefit of giving up sugar? 

I think about food a lot now but I did prior to giving up sugar too.  Now I feel my choices are made for me, I don't have to think about having a cookie (for too long anyway), or which ice cream to buy or how much to have, because I am not having any!  No more decisions.  The world is full of food, healthy choices are all around us.  We need to educate ourselves, that's all.

DH and I watched a movie/documentary last night, FOOD, INC., (I rented my copy at the library).  Did you know that the hamburger (filler) that they use at fast food restaurants (yep, your eating it at McDonald's) is given an  ammonia bath to kill the ecoli before it's shipped to the restaurants.  This venture that I am on, well, can you say OBSESSED!  Buy your meats/poultry at your local butcher.

3 comments:

  1. Tell me more about the book, "The End of Overeating" sounds like a motivation I could use. I laughed at your description of sitting in the car with the Halloween candy. I intentionally didn't buy any until the day before Halloween, then intentionally didn't open the bag until I heard the first knock on the door. The knock never came because we are fairly remote here, so I sent the bag into work with my husband. When I picked it up to hand it to him it was open - he had been digging in it. Good thing I didn't know that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, The book I am reading is titled "The End of Overeating. Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite", authored by David A. Keller, MD. I'm enjoying it. It's reminding me of how much eating we do mindlessly because the food tastes good (because of all the salt, fat, and sugar that is added to it.) So we end up eating for our appetite and not our hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Can't tell you how many times I've said, "I'm really not hungry, but this just tastes so good." Sound familiar? Yeesch!

    ReplyDelete