Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 20, 23 to go.........

Where does the time go?  I have to say after 20 days of not eating sweets, it gets easier to just say NO!  Weight this morning 129.8.

Friday I volunteered for the American Red Cross as a Donor Room Aide at Lambeau Field.  They served cookies, not just any cookies, but the cookies that the Packers serves the Box Ticket Season Ticket holders.  They were chocolate chunk cookies and peanut butter cookies with chunks of chocolate and pralines, I think (that's what they looked like).  The cookies were huge and shaped like footballs.  I didn't work by the canteen so the cookies really could yell out to me while working.  But, I decided to give blood while I was there and as a donor you are instructed to sit in the canteen for 15 minutes.  The cookies sat in front of me screaming for recognition.  Everything I learned in the book came back to me and I had a lot of tools and knowledge to use to calm my neurons that wanted a "reward".  Instead of a cookie I had a bag of trail mix (non-salted) which included nuts, raisins, and sesame seeds and I also started on a bag of miniature pretzels.  That's it, plus the coffee and water I drank. 

The Oprah show was a blast.  Everything about the trip turned out perfect, may not have went as planned but when I look back at the trip is was all perfect.  I really enjoyed myself.  My eating went well too.  We had subway for supper one night and the other I had a grilled burger which I ate only half of.  I decided to order the onion straws as a side and actually made a conscious decision to eat those instead of the other half of hamburger.  I am getting better at tossing out food rather than eating more than I need.  I am also becoming aware of the sense of satiety.  It takes attention to the food you are eating and your sense of knowing when you had enough.  Do you ever look at your plate and ask yourself, should I be eating this much food? Probably, if you have to ask that, there's too much food on your plate.  The book tells us to ask ourselves, how will I feel when I eat this food?  Will I feel better than I do now or will I feel worse?  I remember times when I have decided that I will eat above and beyond the portions that are healthy.  For example: Thanksgiving Dinner, Christmas Dinner or perhaps just a buffet while traveling.  The sense of being really full was comforting to me and now am beyond that and I realize how uncomfortable I feel physically and mentally.  It's not like I will not have food available to me for the next few days, food is always available.  Why do we ever have the desire to eat more than we need to eat? 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good Oprah trip - do you know when it's airing?

    What book are you talking about, Barb? Thanks, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Oprah show will be on Nov. 29 and we were sitting on the left as you look at Keith and Oprah. I think it was the second tier, 4 rows up but I'm not sure. I know they panned the audience a few times so maybe we will be on but it's possible we weren't filmed too.

    The book I am referring to is: The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite by David Kessler. I'm really enjoying the book and I am almost finished with it, only a few pages to go. It was well worth my time and effort to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I think I'll get that book. As for seeing you when Oprah airs, unless you're wearing sunglasses (as in your avatar!) I may not recognize you... *grin*

    ReplyDelete