Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 42, 7 to go...........again

Today was the day the experiment was to end.  Would my cholesterol be lower, higher, stay the same?  I'm going to have to wait a while longer to find that answer out.  The doctor's nurse called yesterday to reschedule my physical, Dec. 24 is the only appt available this year.  I asked if I could get in prior to that for blood work, Dec. 21 is the first day possible.  The doc won't be back in the office until Dec. 20 to write an order for the lab tests so there is no way I can go in before that.  Ummmmm, how disappointing.  Waiting this long with a goal in mind, then not being able to obtain that goal without any options, no control.  I believe my Lord is teaching me a valuable lesson in life: I can not control everything.

Weight today 128.6, down 5# since giving up sugar. 

Interesting tidbit I learned through the book, "Mindless Eating".

In many western countries, America in particular, people are trained to eat until they are “full.” Okinawans are trained to eat until they are “no longer hungry.” Consider the impact this shift in perspective might have on your eating habits.

"How do you know when you are no longer hungry?" Many of us are use to simply eating until we are full which is quite different than eating until we are no longer hungry. It takes about 20 minutes for the stomach to communicate with the rest of the body that it has had enough. If we continue to eat during those 20 minutes we won't get the message that our stomach has had enough until 20 minutes too late and by that time we are stuffed.  In Okinawa, Japan they have a saying that goes "Hara hachi bu" which means "Eat until 80% full." One way to do this is to plan how much you are going to eat before hand. Eat what you've planned and then stop  Then notice how you feel 20 minutes later. You may be surprised that you do indeed feel full even though you weren't when you stopped.
Okinawans call this "Hara hachi bu." 

No comments:

Post a Comment